TMS is the proud sponsor of IAEE’s (International Association of Exhibitions and Events) “MATSO MEET” (Major American Trade Show Organizers) a monthly virtual session designed to draw on the shared experiences of large show organizers to gain collective insights not only from each other but from expert guests as well.
August’s MATSO MEET was all about the planning and final execution of HIMSS21.
Here’s a summary of the key takeaways from the event:
- Recap of attendees – 1,300 exhibiting companies normally (This year, there was 50% normal attendance mainly due to COVID and timing/budget-related issues)
- Refunds were offered to those traveling internationally that had travel bans and could not attend
- Safety protocols were constantly changing (Nevada implemented a state mask mandate a week before the event so HIMSS required masks)
- A digital component of the event was added
- Registration launched a month later than normal (12,000 rollover badges from 2020 had to re-register for 2021)
- For marketing the event, HIMSS added a footer on every communication that led to their most up to date health and safety protocols
- The biggest labor issue was security (HIMSS couldn’t get additional staffing as other shows were overlapping or it was triple the price)
- Once attendees verified their vaccination status (using CLEAR and SAFE EXPO as third-party providers), they were allowed into the event
Visit iaee.com/matso to learn more and register for upcoming events.